Old-School Coffee-Making With A Wear Ever Model 3008 Percolator..


Click to enlarge pics


My electric percolator went out yesterday after 15 years. I'm hoping it's just the cord, because a new one is about $90.00, which I can't afford right now.

I pulled my antique percolator out of my camping gear last night. I'm guessing it's at least ten years older than I am.

I'll look for a manufacturer's stamp when I clean it after making coffee.

It takes longer, because the electric elements in the Farberware percolator would start percolating in less than a minute. I think this one will take about ten minutes on the stove to heat the water enough to begin percolating, and about ten minutes of percolation to have the coffee ready. 

The other tricky part to this one is that the stem tube in the strainer basket isn't very tall. It's a careful job to avoid getting coffee grounds down there, which would show up in the pot. 

The electric also stopped percolating after 12 minutes and dropped to a warming temperature afterwards. It wouldn't burn the coffee unless it sat 24 hours, and even then only a little.

With this pot, I'll have to pour any coffee that doesn't go in my mug into a thermos.

On the plus side, the kitchen is going to smell wonderful in a few minutes. The coffee the old percolator makes is phenomenal.

Youtube video of my Wear Ever 3008 in action:




Assembling the percolator:








Dan

Footnotes & Links:

The Hagley Museum & Library Collection of Ephemera - Catalogs, Manuals, Advertisements, and Brochures for Wear Ever products:
http://findingaids.hagley.org/xtf/view?docId=ead/2268_I.xml

Wear Ever Brand History page:
http://www.wearever.com/AboutUs/Pages/BrandHistory.aspx

Classic Camping Gear Discussion Forum topic on Wear Ever percolators:
https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/vintage-wear-ever-products-of-us-and-canada.32904/
(Also discusses "Fitz-All" replacement lids being on some units.)

1950's-Era  Wear Ever Coffee Pot Ads:










Comments