Myt Coffee Life - The Percolator Story

Percolators were the norm prior to drip coffee makers being introduced in the early 70's. I was a pre-teen when that happened.

When I first started drinking coffee it was from drip pots with paper filters becsuse that's what everyone did.

Then we spent a weekend at my wife's cousin's beach house. There was an antique stove-top percolator exactly like my grandmother had when I was a little kid.

Antique Percolator


It had a clear knob on the lid, and the water would bubble up in there so you could see the color. When it got a nice deep brown, you took it off the stove. I used to watch it all the time.

I had time on my hands that day at the beach house. I made coffee the old-school way. The whole house smelled wonderfully of coffee. My wife came down the stairs saying how good it smelled. The coffee was strong snd flavorful.

I threw out my drip coffee pot as soon as we got home and went to the antique store online.




Then we saw a 12-cup Farberware Millennium coffee pot for sale in the kitchen department at Carson's. Electric, automatic, dropped from brewing to warming temp all by itself when the coffee was done. Won't burn the coffee unless it sits at least ten hours. All stainless steel. (The antique stove-top is aluminum)

Farberware Millenium Electric Percolator
 

I've never looked back.

They sold people on drips in the 70's because the paper filters would "filter out all the coffee impurities." It filtered out most of the flavor, too, and made the paper companies money. What did I know at the time? I was 10 and didn't drink coffee.

Well, I learned back in 1999 when I tried that percolator.

Dan

Comments