Thursday, March 21, 2019
Orion was the first constellation that I ever learned.
It was in a high school astronomy class. We were taken to the University of Wisconsin in Madison's observatory on a Winter night for a field trip.
The telescope was a fairly large refractor, and its observation target that night was the nebula in Orion. The nebula is between Orion's sword and belt.
This happened in Winter, 1977. It has stuck with me ever since. It made nearly as big an impact on me as watching the Apollo 11 Moon landing in 2nd/3rd grade Summer school.
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Monday, January 21, 2019
5G Fears - Are They True?
Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF-2X_-20xM
5G - So What Is It, Anyway?
Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_ZJ4GOMm4
5G Mind Control (And More)
Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJJXhS5TTw4
Video series courtesy of www.MidwesternGeekInCali.com
Sunday, January 6, 2019
Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Watch Video On YouTube:
Geek Goodbyes In 2018:
- Sci-Fi stars that died in 2018: http://www.legacy.com/memorial-sites/science-fiction/
Dan's Geek & Tech Predictions For 2019:
- Multiple companies will launch Low-Earth-Orbit broadband internet satellites by the end of the year, and SpaceX will lead. It will be the beginning of an internet revolution as big as the change from dial-up to broadband, resulting in ubiquitous cheap global gigabit internet access within ten years.
- Mobile 5G technology will begin rolling out in earnest, and by the end of the year large metro markets will have some coverage - and even a few phones that can use it.
- Cable internet provider companies will be talking about major rate reductions and trying to sugar-coat crappy customer service by the end of the year due to the above two stories. The level of dispicableness they have maintained for so long will see people eagerly awaiting leaving them for satellite and mobile competitors - but the competing networks will need about two additional years to really begin replacing cable internet in earnest.
- Carte-blanche virtual content marketplaces will begin and start proliferating.
- Empty big-box store buildings will become data center assets due to available power drops, large flat roofs ideal for solar power and cooling plant, ample room in empty garden centers for emergency generators, pre-existing loading docks, ample parking space for technicians and installers, and massive available floor space, and their location in areas with a low cost-of-living and low-cost real estate. Look to see dead Sears, Kmart, and Walmart stores filling up with co-location cages, servers, routers, fiber optics, and both mobile and satellite internet links.
- Someone in the Marvel Universe will fry Thanos, grab the Infinity Glove, and restore half the universe's Marvel characters. Probably Star Lord from Guardians of the Galaxy by a freak accident aided by the Norse God of sheer Dumb Luck.
- Processor power will begin increasing in earnest again toward the end of the year as stacked 10nm chips are combined with new materials that run cooler than existing silicon come on market.
Happy New Year, and welcome 2019!